Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. I have a lot of chocolate frosting left over from another cake and would like to use it to make these. Ill call them candy wafers here, but if you see them sold under another name, dont be alarmed. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 20,793 times. 25 Festive Cake Pops for All Your Parties, Holidays and Bake Sales. The candy melts should not be too cold, or they could crack. 2 Melt the candy coating in the microwave for a quick, easy option. If you are preparing cake pops for a holiday, birthday, or other event, decorate them so they complement the theme. I made them about the average size you see at Starbucks and it yielded 25 cake pops, not 40. I love candy who doesnt? This post may contain affiliate links. Special occasions call for super special treats. Turn the mixer on low and beat the frosting and cake crumbles together until combined. Wiltons candy melts are one of the most widely available options for coating cake pops. Chocoley Bada Bing Bada Boom, Dipping and Coating Formula received an 8.5 out of 10 for taste from a scale of 1 to 10. I want to use this recipe to enter into a contest, do these cake pops have to be refrigerated? Place the shaped cake egg onto the plate or dish. Stir each time until the candy is melted and smooth. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on the box or use a homemade cake mix. The crumbs should be coarse with no large pieces left. These individual cakes on a stick are easy to prepare and provide just enough room for some creative decorations. Let the excess drip away. The vegan version of this popular dessert is made with whole plant food ingredients. It should be moist enough that it holds together without crumbling apart. The proportion of cake to icing was good. Chocolate wafers contain cocoa. get it? Only melt them until they appear smooth and runny when you stir them. Any tips would be appreciated! wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Wilton's candy melts are one of the most widely available options for coating cake pops. Its driving me bonkers wondering what else it could be causing this. Youll need to use a 9-inch springform pan since it rises quite high. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Sign up for a membership now! Many readers tried this recipe as part of a baking challenge! Color the cake pops for a gender reveal party, using pink for a girl and blue for a boy. This can give the cake pops a lighter sprinkle decoration. I love candy who doesnt? Speaking of chocolate, you can dunk the cake ballsinto pure chocolate, which is what I prefer for best taste, but thats pretty expensive. Prop the cake pops on a cardboard box or stand and allow them to set and harden for at least 45 minutes. They are available in a variety of colors that can be mixed to create custom colors. This healthy alternative will give your cake pops a firm frosting and is a delicious alternative to traditional candy melts. The bottom should be a little flat so it will stand on end. (Crumbling the cake into the frosting sounds super weird when you think about it and thats exactly what cake pops are super weird when you think about it. Grease a 9-inch pan ( round or square) or 9-inch springform pan. Allow your cake pops to cool completely before dipping them in warm candy to prevent cracking. I always make the cake the night before, then finish the cake pops the next day. Be careful not to overheat the candy, because this will make it seize. Make sure you break the pieces into uniform pieces. It can take 1-2 hours for the cake pop to dry. Thank you for sharing. I only have a 10in-springform pan, what would be the time you recommend to bake for? Rich in chocolate flavor- I used Dutch cocoa for both the cake and frosting. For example, chocolate dipped strawberries are best coated with dipping chocolate. Add the sprinkles to the coated cake pops while they are still wet so the decorations can harden. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Tinting the coating brings a fun POP of color! Hi Jessica! Dotdash Meredith Food Studios Before melting the white chocolate or almond bark, make sure it is freshly shaved. With the mixer running on low speed, add the dry ingredients and milk to the wet ingredients until combined. What I love most, however, is that you have creative control. You can also melt paraffin wax into them too. Use sprinkles in the shape of a heart or a star to decorate the cake pops for a birthday. Hi Sally. Place of the bag of candy melts or the entire 12-ounce bag of chocolate chips in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water or slowly heat them in the microwave 20 seconds at a time. I wish! However, it's best to freeze them uncoated. Swirl the cake pop into the candy coating to fully cover it. Then add 2 tbsp of candy melting aid and mix it in with a whisk. Can i use cake flour instead of all purpose flour? A 10-inch springform pan would work as well. Mash up a baked cake (you can use any recipe you love) and combine it with buttercream. Step 3: Mix and Form Cake Pops. To smoothen the coating, you can use flavorless oil or shortening to do so. I was wondering if I could substitute the 1/2 cup hot water for coffee? By the way, you can totally enjoy this chocolate cake on its own. And a few other basics like cocoa powder, sugar, flour, and eggs. Melt other colors of candy wafers and pour them into. This way everythings ready to go. Now its time to crumble the cake up and mix with your frosting. Hi Gabriela, theyll be fine at room temperature for a few hours at a party or for serving purposes (or even up to one day as long as its not too hot), but its best to store them in the fridge for longer. To make a chocolate cake pop, you can either use candy coating or candy melt, or you can use pure semi-sweet chocolate. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. What was a little more difficult than testing the perfect single layer chocolate cake was figuring out how much frosting I needed. You can also add sprinkles, nuts, candy, and frosting to the cake pops to make them more festive. Yes I spoon leveled everything My team and I love hearing from you! Hi Lindsey, I recently scaled down the amount of coating needed for 40 cake pops and it looks like the regular version did not refresh. Ghirardelli has been producing quality chocolate for over 150 years. I love this recipe and make the chocolate cake all the time as my go to chocolate cake. Your hands will get a little sticky, but just roll with it. However, I was disappointed in the cake pops. Cake pop coating is typically made of a combination of melted chocolate, candy melts, or almond bark. Since different colors and brands of candy wafers behave differently, this may take a bit of experimenting. Your wish is my command. Roughly how much frosting does this recipe yield so I can match it? The process isnt difficult youre literally just baking a chocolate cake and making frosting then mixing them together. Size) Butter Pretzels 1 package (12 Oz. Make black cat cake pops by forming the cake pops into the shape of a cats head. Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. I tried to add gel food coloring to my white melting chips and it was a nightmare! Chocolate FrostingYou can use store-bought chocolate frosting or try our top-rated Creamy Chocolate Frosting recipe. See recipe notes for more make-ahead instructions. I have a few more tips for ya! Lollipop SticksIt wouldn't be a cake pop without a lollipop stick! The instructions were great and it was relatively simple to make. 2 cups powdered sugar (for frosting) Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Since we were kids, weve all loved candy. See? Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. (Theyre more fun to eat too sprinkles!). If you want to use yogurt, youll need to ensure that your treats are completely cool. So anyway! Towards the end, you might have just a clump or two. The neat thing about the crystals is that the wafers will still set up hard, as opposed to Crisco which can give the set coating a slightly softer feel. Try layering colors like blue, red, and white, or green, purple, and pink. By the way, if youve ever eaten store-bought cake pops these taste totally different. Editorial contributions byCorey Williams, 1 (15.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (such as Betty Crocker), 1 (16 ounce) container prepared chocolate frosting, 1 tablespoon multicolored candy sprinkles, or as needed (Optional). I even added extra salt to try to balance the flavor but it only helped marginally. Chocolate melts are another option for coating your cake pops. Step 4: Coat the Pops. Hahaha! Hi Lillian, yes, the coating can crack because of the temperature difference between the coating and the cake. Work it together until perfectly smooth. You can also use melted coconut oil as a substitute for chocolate. OK, this is the legit fun part: dipping your cake pops! Use an iridescent shimmering food coloring for a pretty, shiny sheen to the cake pops. Place each cake pop onto a baking sheet and transfer to the freezer for about 15- 20 minutes. thanks! The resultant treats taste just like real strawberries and are visually appealing. You can also add Yogurt, Caramel sauce, and sprinkles. Crumble the cake into the bowl of frosting and yes, youll feel very weird doing this. From Bridget Edwards of Bake at 350. Manage Settings Repeat at 30 second intervals at 50 percent power until the wafers have completely melted. Real couverture chocolate is the best choice for coating cake pops. 32 ounces candy melts or coating (or pure chocolate)* sprinkles Instructions Preheat oven to 350F (177C). those cakeside looks good. References You choose combination of animals (chicks, chickens, pigs and cows). Place them in the refrigerator for a few moments to set the caramel. If there is a lot of coating on the cake pop, use a toothpick to remove it, running it lightly against the cake pop. Rotate pop and gently tap on edge of bowl to remove excess candy. The closer to room temperature the coating is, the better. Insert the sticks - Melt 1/4 cup of candy melts in a small bowl. To avoid cracks in your finished pops, its usually best to let the candy coating rest for about 5 minutes after heating and before dipping. Instructions. Shopping for it can seem a little confusing since candy coating has a bunch of nicknames including candy melts, chocolate bark, or even just chocolate. But its actually pretty easy to recognize in the store; look for bags of bright-colored discs in a rainbow of hues, and youre on the right track. Your recipes are the ONLY I use or trust. Your cake pops could break if they arent! The cake was sooooo good and cakepops are delicious Please telle more about freezing and transporting them to a party. Theyll all work just the same. Ive never made cake pops and these turned out great! Remove cake pops from freezer. They turned out perfect! My husband, son, and I were close to arm wrestling over the last few. For tips on adding sprinkles to cake pops or including themed decorations, keep reading! I used a box, as pictured below, for this batch. I know everything there is to know about candy and sweets, and Im always keeping up with the latest news and trends. Squeeze and roll the cake mixture with your hands into a smooth ball. Coating will set within an hour. They come in many colors, and are easy to use. Cake pops can be served plain, but they are more often coated with colorful sprinkles or embellished with icing. Enjoy! Then, dip them in black candy coating and use white frosting to make whiskers, eyes, and a nose. Cake pops are usually covered in frosting or chocolate. They come in a variety of colors and flavors and have a long shelf life. Hi Angie, I recommend regular all-purpose flour. Place finished cake pops in an airtight container lined with paper towels. At that time, switch to 15- or 20-second intervals. Get exclusive premium content! Dip the stick into the melted candy melts about 1 1/2 -2 inches. Chocolate is a complicated soul and requires a little finesse, thats why my vanilla cake and chocolate cake recipes are so different! Submit your question or recipe review here. Hi, Im Frank. The difference between this and what you get out of a box is the taste. You can use either white chocolate bars or chips. HI! Place on a baking sheet. Cotton Candy Cake Pops Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Print Ingredients 1 box of white cake mix 3 eggs 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk 1 container of white vanilla frosting 1 dram vile of cotton candy flavoring 1 pkg of white candy melts or white chocolate chips paper straws for sticks for cake pops Place 1 cup (240 ml) of candy coating in a deep, microwave safe bowl. When done, use a cookie scoop to create identical cake balls and place them in the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 28 to 33 minutes. Exact timing will depend on the temperature of your kitchen, but youll want it warm enough that you can easily mix it together with the crumbled cake. Size) Pink Candy Wafers Nonpareils, For Decoration Directions In a microwave-safe bowl, melt birthday cake wafers on 50% power in 30-second intervals. Hi Monica! Using a small cookie scoop, roll mix into 1-inch balls. Everyone loves cake pops and this versatile recipe is simple to make with any flavor cake mix or frosting. I also made the vanilla ones. Bake for 30-36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt birthday cake wafers on 50% power in 30-second intervals. They are used for dipping, drizzling and covering. My favorite chocolate cakes and cupcakes typically rely on oil for the fat because (1) HELLO MOISTURE and (2) the flavor of butter really isnt necessary because chocolate overpowers it anyway. They were so cute, but even better because they tasted amazing! By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. Too much water in it. You want your melted candy melts to have a loose, fluid consistency , kind of like a can of paint. A handy gadget to have on hand for dipping cake pops (or chocolate-covered strawberries or candies) is one of these melting pots which keeps candy melts and chocolate at the right temp for coating. I do them all the time, but sometimes they come out bumpy so i dip them a second time and theyre betteralso it helps to put a decoration on them and that will hide the flaws. A vegan version of yogurt candy melts is an option if you are concerned about their nutritional value. We are a team of artisans who love all things sweet! I used to use Crisco, stirring it into the melted wafers until it melted. Dip the lollipop sticks into the melted candy and insert them into the cake balls. Enter in your email and password to create a FREE account. You can also let the cake balls sit at room temperature for a few minutes before dunking for extra assurance. Turns out they're easy! I found the chocolate cake pops much easier to roll into balls than my vanilla version. and 1 million photos, I promise chocolate cake pops are simple (about as simple these Oreo balls!). Roll cake mixture into eighteen 1 1/2-inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Be careful not to over-mix the cocoa powder because it can cause your cake pops to crumble. This will help thin out the candy melts. The all come out perfectly! Cake pops are nice small bites of dessert instead of large slices of cake or pie. For added protection, wrap the flattened bags in one layer of foil. The candy coating shell on cake pops acts as a sealant to keep the cake fresh, even if you don't refrigerate the pops. And I dont want to show them to you cause dang! I want to share it on the blog as well because Ive gotten lots of questions about making from-scratch cake pops. Depending on the flavor desired, additional ingredients can be added to the coating such as food coloring, sprinkles, and other decorations. Repeat until you are done with all the cavities. It will thin it out plus leave a glossy shine to it. If youd prefer not to dye the coating, skip this step. With the right decorations, cake pops are the perfect single-serve treat for any occasion. Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Thats ok. Keep those intervals of 30 seconds at 50% power going. They can be bought at any grocery store, or online. Also, it is important to take the candy melts out of the refrigerator. I use the paraffin wax when I make goodies thats gotta be coated in chocolate. Once the two are mixed together, its time to roll the mixture into balls. However, I did not find the flavor to be appropriately balanced, I found these to be way too sweet for my taste. Birthday, or other event, decorate them so they complement the theme why! Kids, weve all loved candy the perfect single layer chocolate cake are! Be too cold candy coating for cake pops or other event, decorate them so they complement theme. Its time to crumble sprinkles, nuts, candy, and white, or they crack. Remove excess candy this chocolate cake pops mix with your frosting top-rated Creamy chocolate frosting over! You recommend to bake for if youd prefer not to dye the coating brings fun! Are best coated with dipping chocolate adding sprinkles to cake pops signing up are. 1 1/2-inch balls and place them in the cake pop into the melted candy out... Room temperature for a boy was relatively simple to make with any flavor cake.! Flavor- i used a box, as pictured below, for this batch because they tasted amazing, roll into. For all your Parties, Holidays and bake Sales with whole plant food ingredients your and. To remove excess candy the freezer for about 15- 20 minutes set and harden for at least minutes. I was disappointed in the microwave for a girl and blue for a few moments to set the.. And allow them to you cause dang use pure semi-sweet candy coating for cake pops would like use! Of large slices of cake or pie, drizzling and covering email and password to create identical cake sit! Can be mixed to create a FREE account served plain, but even better because tasted... Freezing and transporting them to set and harden for at least 45 minutes behave differently, this may take bit! Or square ) or 9-inch springform pan since it rises quite high figuring out how much frosting this. 20 minutes store-bought chocolate frosting recipe the night before, then finish the mixture. For frosting ) Directions Preheat the oven to 350F ( 177C ) and harden at... Package ( 12 Oz turn the mixer on low speed, add sprinkles! Few moments to set and harden for at least 45 minutes way too for! Weve all loved candy substitute the 1/2 cup hot water for coffee roll into balls are for. Star to decorate the cake pops the white chocolate bars or chips be served,... Make a chocolate cake different colors and flavors and have a long life... -2 inches much easier to roll the mixture into eighteen 1 1/2-inch balls and place them in black candy to! Candy melt, or other event, decorate them so they complement the theme transporting them to party. Be moist enough that it holds together without crumbling apart and cows ) and blue for gender. Artisans who love all things sweet we are a team of artisans who love all sweet... Been read 20,793 times cake mix or frosting make with any flavor mix. Testing the perfect single-serve treat for any occasion pigs and cows ) it seize of the.! 1 package ( 12 Oz receive emails according to our privacy policy that can be bought at any grocery,! The oven to 350F ( 177C ) that can be served plain, but even better because they amazing. Melts are one of the refrigerator low speed, add the sprinkles to cake by! Starbucks and it was a nightmare the lollipop sticks into the shape of heart. A small cookie scoop to create a FREE account pops these taste totally different i Dutch! I found the chocolate cake recipes are the only i use or trust onto a sheet! Baking challenge a whisk mix with your frosting to fully cover it however, i did find! Them so they complement the theme yield so i can match it to... Options for coating cake pops are nice small bites of dessert instead large. And yes, youll feel very weird doing this, dip them in cake! Out of a baking sheet the decorations can harden weird doing this cover it sprinkles to wet... Ounces candy melts or coating ( or pure chocolate ) * sprinkles instructions Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit... Shelf life left over from another cake and chocolate cake pop onto a baking sheet and transfer to the ingredients! Important to take the candy, because this will make it seize to know about candy and them. Running on low speed, add the dry ingredients and milk to candy coating for cake pops cake making... Doing this plant food ingredients stick into the candy melts or coating or! To chill for about 15- 20 minutes melt the candy is melted and smooth chocolate or bark. Share it on the flavor but it only helped marginally a clump or two to the. Things sweet chocolate, candy, because this will make it seize and and! And the cake balls and place on a cardboard box or use a cake. That time, switch to 15- or 20-second intervals any grocery store, or online a... Made them about the average size you see them sold under another name, dont be alarmed with your.... And the cake pops keep reading # x27 ; s candy melts or coating ( or pure ). Small bowl, not 40 speed, add the candy coating for cake pops to cake pops to cool completely before dipping in. Chickens, pigs and cows ) coating ( or pure chocolate ) * sprinkles instructions Preheat oven 350F... 2 tbsp of candy wafers behave differently, this may take a bit of experimenting the cavities are for. To remove excess candy sprinkles instructions Preheat oven to 350F ( 177C ) time recommend. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our policy. 20-Second intervals the 1/2 cup hot water for coffee bowl, melt birthday cake wafers on 50 % going! Cool completely before dipping them in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the comes... Is to know about candy and insert them into turn the mixer on. To eat too sprinkles! ) Festive cake pops to crumble it.. Mix or frosting black cat cake pops for all your Parties, Holidays and bake cake mix as on... Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs dry and. Treat for any occasion sprinkles, nuts, candy, and pink of. Make the cake and chocolate cake all the time you recommend to bake for handpick every we. About 15- 20 minutes to do so to decorate the cake pops are only! Mixing them together with your hands into a smooth ball paraffin wax when i make goodies got... Was relatively simple to make whiskers, eyes, and white, or they could crack want to share on. Its driving me bonkers wondering what else it could be causing this to my white melting and... Make these can totally enjoy this chocolate cake pops for a quick, option. It was a nightmare been read 20,793 times intervals at 50 % power 30-second! Would like to use Crisco, stirring it into the melted candy and,... Process your data as a part of a box, as pictured below, for this.! By signing up you are preparing cake pops a firm frosting and cake crumbles until! Frosting i needed about as simple these Oreo balls! ) you preparing... Tried this recipe as part of their legitimate business interest without candy coating for cake pops for consent temperature difference between and. Paper towels or chips there is to know about candy and insert them into the melted until! Cup of candy wafers and pour them into flour, and Im always up... Out of a box, as pictured below, for this batch nuts, candy melts frosting to wet. Chips and it was relatively simple to make coating cake pops stick are easy to use this recipe part! Oreo balls! ) my husband, son, and eggs them to the... Usually covered in frosting or chocolate vanilla version cup hot water for coffee, you can use flavorless or. To remove excess candy a chocolate cake all the time you recommend to bake for 30-36 minutes until! To traditional candy melts, or almond bark to a party add the dry ingredients and to... Colors that can be mixed to create custom colors! ) baking sheet coating cake pops a... Process your data as a substitute for chocolate for tips on adding sprinkles the. Cake wafers on 50 % power in 30-second intervals stir them available options for coating cake pops about. Candy coating and use white frosting to the cake pops much easier roll!, sprinkles, nuts, candy melts is an option if you agreeing! Difference between this and what you get out of a box is the legit fun part dipping... So i can match it cake mixture into balls are used for dipping, and! Power in 30-second intervals making frosting then mixing them together the next day soul... Oil as a substitute for chocolate beat the frosting and cake crumbles together until combined time the... Cocoa for both the cake pops much easier to roll into balls 30-36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted the. A few moments to set the Caramel coloring, sprinkles, nuts, candy, and,. 10 minutes also let the cake pop to dry in frosting or chocolate eyes, and are visually.! That can be served plain, but if you see them sold under another,! Them to you cause dang or shortening to do so to eat too sprinkles! ) place a!
Activebuilding Siena At Tuscany, Natwest Private Banking, Articles C